Thursday, 8 September 2011

30 Days of Lists: Day 8

Today's prompt was:

'Things that remind me of my childhood'

As a 90s nostalgia fanatic I absolutely love doing this list (hence why there are so many things on it!)

Here it is -


  • Super Mario - Super Mario was by far my favourite video game when I was little. It started off when I used to go to one of my old neighbours houses and play Super Mario Land of their SNES. I think I was only about 3 or 4 at the time.
  • Nintendo 64 - This was the first games console I ever owned. I got it for Christmas in 1997. I remember I had Mario 64, Mischief Makers and FIFA 98. I let a family friend borrow it for a time but they moved to Canada soon after and I never saw it again! I still have the Mario 64 cartridge though!
  • Gameboys - I used to be inseparable with my purple Gameboy Color. The only game I had was Super Mario Bros but I used to play that for hours and hours at a time. It came to an untimely death when I accidently dropped it in the bath. A couple of years ago I started trying to build up a collection of old Gameboys but only managed to get a classic grey Gameboy original and a yellow Gameboy Pocket before I got too skint to indulge in it anymore.
  • Tamagotchis - I had a love/hate relationship with mine. I used to love playing on it but my pet would die so easily. I'd feed it in the morning then when I got home from school in the afternoon ot would be dead. I tried to get my Mum to take it to work with her a couple of times to look after it but that didn't last for long.
  • Rosie & Jim - This was my first favourite tv show when I was a small baby. Apparently when I was about 6 months old my Mum used to put me in my baby bouncer in front of the tv and put Rosie & Jim on. As soon as the theme tune started i'd go wild, bouncing up and down and squealing. I wish they had videotaped me.
  • Megamaths - Even though I have always hated maths I used to love this educational show. Everyone used to love watching it in class and it was my favourite thing to watch in the morning if I was off school sick. I wish I could find and episode or two on YouTube somewhere but so far i've had no luck in tracking it down.
  • Hungry Hungry Hippos - I used to love this game. It was good because it was a game that no one won and you could just play it for the fun of it and not get dishearted if you lost. Junk Food brought out a Hungry Hungry Hippos print t-shirt a few years ago but I decided to get the Twister one instead. I wish i'd got the other one now!
  • Mousetrap - This was one of the few board games that requires a lot of setting up that I actually didn't mind playing. Kerplunk on the other hand......
  • Kerplunk - Argh I used to hate this game! It was so frustrating trying to get those stupid little straws in the slots, then putting the marbles in and they'd just fall straight through anyway even though it taken ages and ages to put together.
  • Pop Up Pirate - One Christmas I had the choice between getting this and Buckaroo. I remember my Dad taking me to Toys R Us to pick it up. It was a really fun game to play.
  • Barbie - Well where do I begin to start with this? I had tons and tons of dolls and accessories. I think I may do a separate blog about the ones of any significance.
  • Sindy - I actually didn't have all that many Sindy dolls. There are only 3 that stick out in my mind and two of them were the same doll but with slightly different outfits. I did have a fair amout of Sindy accessories though.
  • Jem - She used to terrify me when I was little, I actually used to have nightmares about her but i'm totally obsessed with her now. 
  • Goosebumps - I used to love watching this in my Dad's house on Fox Kids. My favourite episode was 'One Day in Horroland'. I still have one of the books, i'm not sure which one it is but it's got a really cool skull on the front with red flashing eyes. 
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch - This was my absolute favourite show for a period of time. I remember they always used to have marathons of it on Nickelodeon and I used to watch it for hours. I had some of the books too and I still have a couple of them. 
  •  Bop It - I never owned it but there was a boy in school who did and he always used to bring it in and we'd all fight about whose turn it was next. 
  • Push Pops - I always used to get these from the local corner shop. I used to be able to go to the shop on my own with my younger cousin even though it was about half a mile away. Those were the days....
  • Panda Pops - My favourite was the blue flavour although I can't actually remember specifically what flavour that was. The still make them now but they've gone all natural now so they don't make the blue flavour any more.
  • Hair Mascara - This was a favourite of mine when I was too young to dye my hair!
  • Spice Girls - The ultimate pop group of the 90s. I still have their first album and the Spice World Movie on VHS. I would absolutely love to get hold of a vintage Spice Girls t-shirt though.
  • My Little Pony - Although I can't remember having any actual My Little Pony dolls when I was little I did have a Playdoh set and an annual.I think I love it more now than I did back then.
  • Fountain Pens - It was a huge deal for me when I reached year 5 in school and we no longer had to write in pencil. I used to have those mini fountain pens in loads of funky designs. 
  • Pocahontas - This was one of my favourite Disney films when I was little. It particularly sticks in my mind though because my Nain and Taid decorated one of their spare bedrooms with Pocahontas wallpaper for the grandchildren to stay in. I used to love that room.
  • Mulan - Another one of my favourite Disney films that I used to watch over and over again. I lent the video tape to one of my school friends and they never gave it back to me. Sob.
  • KNEX - I used to love making gyro swings out of it for my dolls.
  • Pogs  - I used to love getting these in cereal boxes. I amassed quite a collection at one point. 
  • Beneton - There was a period in my childhood when virtually all my clothes were from Beneton. I used to hate going there with my Mum and always used to beg her to take me some place else.
  • Miners Makeup - This gave me my first taste of the world of makeup. I used to be quite precious about all my pots of glitter and things but one of my friends stuck her fingers in them all one day and ruined them.
  • Benylin - When I was very little my Mum used to give me this to get me to sleep at night. It still makes me laugh when I think about it. 
  • Berol Handwriting Pens - I learned to do joined up handwriting in school with these. They were recently brought to the front of my mind again when my Nana bought a few of them. They are exactly the same as they used to be when I used them.
  • Sing-Along-Songs - I used to love watching these tapes with my cousin and then fighting afterwards about who the taped belonged to.
  • Cassette Tapes - Back in the day I used to tape the top 40 onto a cassette the listen to it in my walkman.
  • Street Fighter - I used to love playing this in the arcades even though I was never very good at it. I always used to play as Chun-Li. 



No comments:

Post a Comment