Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Stoptober - Cold Turkey or Gradual Weaning?

So i've been wanting to give up smoking for a little while now, not just for myself but for everyone in my family who keeps banging on at me to stop all the time. I thought now would be a good time to 'start stopping' due to the NHS starting their Stoptober campaign - an initiative designed to help people quit smoking during the month of October in case you hadn't already guessed.
It officially started on 1st October but I only found out about it on Saturday by chance as I don't watch much TV or read magazines so hadn't seen any adverts for it before. I decided to wait until after my Mum's birthday had passed on Monday before I started trying to quit as I didn't want to be grumpy for her special day (she also smokes and as i'm living with her at the moment it makes giving up that little bit harder).
Unfortunately the NHS are only offering Stoptober packs to people living in England, despite it being a national campaign, which is kind of annoying and the free app I downloaded for it doesn't work, which is even more annoying - so i'm just really using the term Stoptober because it's catchy, not because i'm actually officially taking part in it.
My question is though - do I go cold turkey or do I gradually wean myself off the cigarettes hopefully making completely quitting eventually easier? I first started smoking about 3 years ago, just socially at first but it soon became an every day habit, I currently smoke about 8 to 12 cigarettes a day on average, so i'm not classed as a long term or heavy smoker. Based on this what do you think I should do? (I haven't had a cigarette since about midnight, so it's been about 20 hours or so now and I won't be able to get any more until at least 7am tomorrow).
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!




7 comments:

  1. Ahhh i can resonate with your dilema it's such a personal thing as well like what way you choose to give up. when i gave up I found cold turkey was the way for me, the first week was the hardest, i found distracting myself lots helped, sorry I cant offer any advice but just wanted to wish you luck and send you strength. You can do it!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to not have on for over 30 hours and was fine but for some stupid reason I decided to have one and now i'm back to square one! I think I may have to go cold turkey.

      Delete
  2. nice post, you have to do it, keep spirit <3
    you have lovely blog, im following you now! Mind to follow back? Kisses :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I will be sure to check out your blog.

      Delete
  3. Hello dear,
    Maybe you would like to follow each others blogs with blogger and bloglovin?

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/wolffashion/369430966451649

    Have a nice day,
    gV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog. :)

      Delete
  4. I was smoking a lot too, but still not as much as you quite, and I ended up going just cold turkey. I didn't ever allow myself to have extra money when I went to the store, that way I could never afford it. A couple times I ended up buying a box and smoking a few, but then I would throw the rest of the box away, I would break the cigarettes in half and get rid of it. I live in Europe so they're reallyyyy expensive.
    I would say try cold turkey, its the fastest. And try to keep yourself accountable with friends or money while you're at the store. If it doesn't work though, wean yourself off... but don't even go back to smoking 8-12 and then weaning yourself off, start with 5 a day already... and then go from there.

    I hope that helps girl :)
    I found, that everytime I wanted to smoke I was stressed, and instead of smoking to relieve that stress too, I went to prayer, and that really helped me. Because I gave up my stress, and then didn't want to smoke either :)

    ReplyDelete