Thursday, 30 May 2013

My 22nd Birthday

On Bank Holiday Monday I turned to grand old age of 22. I usually dread my birthday (who likes getting older?) but I was quite looking forward to my age being a nice palindromic number. It feels good to type. 22. 22. 22......22

I wasn't planning to do anything big, just go out for a bite to eat somewhere. I chose to go to The Sugar Plum Tearoom, a relatively new place in a neighbouring village that I hadn't had chance to go to but it looked just my cup of tea. (Sorry!)

We had to book a table in advance, which is rare for a cafe, but I can understand why it's so popular - it's gorgeous! It's decorated in a homely vintage style which is in keeping with the homeware shop it's attached to (selling Cath Kidston and Emma Bridgewater, naturally) and it has quite a vast menu of tantalising treats, both sweet and savoury with plenty of choice for vegetarians such as myself. I chose to have a mocha coffee which turned out to be one of the best i've ever had and a buck Welsh rarebit. Unbelievably i've never actually had proper Welsh rarebit before despite being a huge cheese fan and it certainly didn't disappoint. The cheese was mixed with mustard, which was devine and the poached egg on top was done to perfection. The side salad had a honey dressing which is not something I would usually go for but it worked so well and was delicious.


If you're ever in the area then I would highly recommend popping in, but maybe ring ahead and book a table first because like I said, it tends to be busy - the homeware shop is still worth a visit though if you are unable to make a reservation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment